Cooking & Entertaining >
The Way It Used To Be: An Old Fashioned Family Re-Union
Have a family reunion filled with old fashioned fun.
1. Games: Have everything needed to play baseball.
2. Pies: Ask some family members to bring pies and
have a pie eating contest.
3. Homemade Ice Cream: Make homemade ice cream
together. Here is an easy recipe using Ziploc bags to
make the ice cream, but if you have an ice cream maker,
you can use that too.
You will need:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
6 tablespoons salt for each serving
Put milk, vanilla and sugar into a pint or quart-sized
freezer bag. Seal well. Fill a large, gallon-sized
freezer bag with ice. Add the salt. (We used rock salt.)
Put the smaller bag into the larger bag and seal. Shake
and mix until the ice cream thickens, about 10 minutes.
4. Homemade Butter: Make homemade butter. Here is
an easy recipe to use:
You will need
1-2 cups heavy whipping cream
or double cream (1/3 liter) preferably without
carrageenan or other stabilizer.
Put the cream in a jar and add a clean marble. Have
people take turns shaking the jar. It will probably take
about 35 minutes for it to become butter. Bring some
fresh bread for everyone to have the butter on.
5. Fishing: If you are able to find a park that
has a fishing pond, provide some fishing poles and bait
for children to go fishing.
6. Dress Up: Bring old fashioned dress up clothes
and let people dress up and take fun snapshots.
7. More Games: Play games like tug of war, and red
rover. Have a sack race and wheel barrow race.